Sunday, December 2, 2012

Bring It On!


Winter, that is. I’m ready for you. But just a few days ago I was bemoaning the fact that winter is ‘round the bend. In fact, I woke up feeling that I just couldn’t face it. Overnight, the temperature had dropped about 30 degrees, there was snow on the ground, the sky was gray, and it had started to rain and sleet. I did not want to get up.
            But then my husband (usually the naysayer with such cheery comments as, “This kitchen renovation is going to be a nightmare!” or “OMG, there’s no money in the bank account to pay the college tuition!”) reminded me that winter has some positive qualities. Such as?
            Well, cozy beds, for one thing. And also birds flocking at the feeder—so pretty to watch. Not to go all “Sound of Music” on you, but once I started thinking of all the things I like about winter, I just couldn’t stop. I love the look of sparkling holiday lights at night. And winter always makes me happy to drink tea (normally, I’m a decaf lover). Sun shimmering on snow (love those "s" words) is glorious (when the sun deigns to come out, of course).
 And though holidays can be immensely stressful, I do enjoy having my young men/ “kids” all in the same place at the same time, eating healthy food prepared by yours truly. And though bad weather can be tiresome, irksome, and just plain annoying, it’s also occasionally nice to know that you can’t go out. Winter weather gives us a good excuse to just read a book or make soup (sadly, excuses seem to be needed for this sort of luxury in the hectic world in which we now live).
            So without mentioning whiskers on kittens (or on mittens), I will admit that the winter season has some wondrous qualities. If only it were just…a bit…shorter!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment