Sunday, December 30, 2012

A Walk in the Sunshine


When I woke up this morning, I thought, “Oh, what a beautiful day!” The sun was shining, the sky was blue, and it was cold, but not so very, very cold. Some ice and snow coated the ground, but not enough to make walking impossible (in fact, my husband went for a run).
            But the bed was so warm, and I was so comfy, and it just seemed like a good morning to sleep in. Besides, I thought, I can walk later.
            Later, however, I had to bake some cookies and a pie for a friend in need; and then I had laundry to do, and writing. A few times I looked out the window and thought, “Well, the day is still beautiful! I’ll get out for a walk after lunch.”
            But then, the phone rang, and I remembered I needed to make the bed upstairs because a guest is coming to visit, and I had to finish a book I was reading and write a review, and I had to check my email a hundred times and see what was happening on Facebook…and
            Well, before I knew it the sun was almost gone and the other son in my life was on his way over for dinner. I did manage to go out into the yard and snap a few pictures as the sun was on its way down. But the walk in the sunlight was no longer a possibility.
            Of course, that got me thinking, especially since it’s almost New Year’s Eve and the beginning of 2013. And because it’s the time of New Year’s resolutions (which I don’t especially care for), I nevertheless resolved that the next time I wake up to a beautiful day (which very well could be tomorrow) the walk in the sunshine comes first. The walk—for me, for you, for us—should come before everything and anything. Because if we keep putting it off and putting it off, you see what happens!
            Although walking is a healthy endeavor, and great for fitness, of course you know that’s not all I’m talking about. Just sayin’, whatever the sunshine in your life really is, go for it now, while it’s still bright, shiny and within reach. There will always be laundry, work, commitments, responsibilities…dishes to wash and so on. But as Yogi Bhajan--one of my favorite yogis-- said, “Excuses are self-abuses.”  
So take your walk in the sunshine now. I’ll be right behind you.

No comments:

Post a Comment