Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mommy & Me



A short post today, since it’s Mother’s Day and I’m taking a little “holiday.”
         But…the other day I had the pleasure of attending a Mother’s Day Tea at a local nursery school (no I’m not in the Guinness Book of World Records for “older” moms—I was there to promote my book, All About Motherhood!). From my position on the side of the room I had a perfect view not only of the three and four year olds who were entertaining their moms with old favorites like “I’m a Little Teapot” but I could also clearly see the mothers’ faces. I was struck by the love that was reflected and magnified in the room, and reminded once again that there’s nothing quite like mother love. And a child’s love for his or her mom is so clear and absolute. When one little boy's mother was almost late for the event, it seemed as if his tiny heart was about to break. Thankfully, she showed up at the last minute, but it made me realize once again how much mothers matter.
          As I observed a young mother watching her daughter perform, I knew that for this loving duo, nothing else existed in the world at that moment but the magnificent link between them.  I remembered looking into my own mother’s eyes that way, well into adulthood. Words weren’t necessary; we only needed to meet one another’s gaze to know what was in our hearts.
Motherhood is love, joy, challenge and hope, a gift, a blessing, a weight. It’s diapers, bottles, beer bottles (yes, I’m talking about teens), scraped knees, text messages, Band aids, heavy metal bands, your world, your universe, your past, present and future. And so much more. Truly, it is "the never-ending journey."
Motherhood is here, now, and always. Happy Mother’s Day to all! May your day be filled with love.

No comments:

Post a Comment