Sunday, May 27, 2012

A Blog a Day...



Keeps the doctor away? Actually, I’ve been writing a blog a week for a couple of years now, and I must say, though I don’t have a lot of followers, my crew is loyal, and I’m having fun.
But you want to know what I like best about blogging? Nobody says to me, “No you can’t do that!” It’s all “Yes, I can!” I can write whatever I want (within reason). If I want to write about shoelaces, so be it. If I decide dogs are my topic, then I just go ahead with dogs. Goldfinches, toothaches, anything I want. I decide. No editor, no publisher, no advertising rep, nobody tells me what to blog about (though I do accept suggestions).
            Besides, you just never know who is reading a blog. It could get passed around all over the world. Maybe some day some big hotshot editor will read my stuff and say WOW. Maybe—like that book by Dr. Seuss called McElligot’s Pool—some big fish is out there just waiting for me to come along with a blog that will change the blogging world. Why not?
            So yeah, I’m not getting paid to blog here. And maybe not a lot of people read my stuff. And maybe I could use a copy editor or a proofreader or a censor now and again. But blogging is freedom. It’s liberating! It’s write-whatever-you-want day every day that you decide to blog (unless, of course, you’re blogging for a website that pays and has editors, which I also do).
            If you’re an aspiring writer (or even an old pro), why not try it? Just get up in the morning and say to yourself, “What should I blog about today?” You decide. No one says NO. No one says, “You can’t!” True, not everyone will like what you blog about. You may get some nasty comments, or people may simply ignore you. But that’s not the point. The point is you blog to blog, you blog to spread your wings, you blog to have the freedom to write whatever you please. 
            So even though it doesn’t pay well (and maybe pays nothing at all), the rewards are great. And remember…If you wait long enough, if you’re patient and cool...
Who knows what you’ll catch in McElligot's Pool!

No comments:

Post a Comment